As the old song goes, Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow! But, if it just won’t snow, follow these simple instructions for creating an awesome (and warmer) winter-themed sensory bin, complete with DIY snow made from two simple ingredients you’ve already got in the house!
What You’ll Need:
- 3 Cups Baking Soda (that’s one and a half boxes)
- ½ Cup Conditioner (any kind will do)
- Winter-themed extras (we used clear beads, blue glitter, sparkly confetti, and jingle bells)
- A tray with high sides or a plastic bin
- Spoons, cups, and bowls
What You’ll Do:
1. Pour ½ cup of conditioner into a bowl if your kids are mixing (it’s fun!) or directly into the tray or bin if you’re mixing (it’s messy!)
2. Measure 3 cups of baking soda and dump it into your bowl or tray
3. Use your hands to mix the ingredients until they stick together. Add a bit more conditioner if the snow feels too “dry”
4. Add your extras one at a time, mixing them in with your hands
What THEY’LL Do:
A sensory bin is a wonderful, open-ended, exploratory tool that develops everything from fine motor and language skills to imagination, cooperation, and problem-solving. So, let your kids loose and see what happens! Some will dig right in and start discovering – others might need a few suggestions to get started. Below are a few things your kiddo can do with their winter-themed sensory snow bin:
Sift the snow between their fingers
Smash the snow down flat
Squish the snow into a solid, using two hands
Scoop the snow with a spoon or small shovel
Use a spoon to fill a small bowl with snow
Dump the snow out of the bowl and back into the bin
Rake the snow with a fork
Make a path through the snow with their fingers
Pack the snow into balls
Stack the balls to make a snowman
Use a spoon to extract specific extras from the snow
Make a separate pile of each type of extra
Talk about how the snow feels
Describe the extras they see in the snow
Answer your creative prompts about who might live in this winter wonderland and what they might do all-day
What are you waiting for? Let it snow and watch your kiddos grow!
About the Author: Amy Opheim is the proud mother of 10-year-old Emma, the spring board-diving, Minecraft-playing, guitar-rocking light of her life. Together with artist-hubby Todd, the Opheims spend as much time out of doors as possible, hiking, swimming, surfing, snorkeling, exploring, and generally loving life.
Snow Crazy Sensory Bin!